Saturday, September 22, 2012

Good Things!

This week had a great ending!

Reading Recovery (RR) is coming along nicely. I have all my testing done and I'm just waiting to hear which students I should take. This coming week I should actually get to start teaching reading! I'm very excited for this.

On Thursday I again had to race off at 12:00 for a RR meeting. I let my kids know in the morning that I will be leaving for the afternoon. This time the reaction was heart warming. A few of the kids said, "Are you ever going to stay?" I felt sad and good at the same time about this comment. It was nice that they wanted me to stay but a bit sad as well because I feel as though I'm not making the same connections with my students as I have in the past. I will just have to make the most of the time that I have to spend with them!

Friday morning was our first monthly assembly. In the past we have only met together as a school for special occasions. This year to complement our house activities we have planned to get together for a monthly assembly to do some celebrating. This could be as simple as wishing everyone who has a birthday that month a "Happy Birthday", to having a class share something special that they have worked on.

This month we decided that we hadn't been in school long enough for anyone to really have things to share with others so we brought our house groups out for the assembly. During our first activity day we didn't really have time to make our team cheers so we had some time on Friday to do so. After each house had come up with their cheer we met together in the gym. The atmosphere in the gym was AMAZING! Each house was wearing their house colour and it was easy to see who was in which house. We took turns going around the gym and sharing our team cheers with the school. I loved seeing kids from different grades interacting together and really having fun!

After the assembly I heard a lot of positive things being said which makes me really happy. I'm feeling really positive about these activities and I really hope that it can continue on into the rest of the school year.

Lastly, I met with my principal on Friday about my professional growth plan. During this meeting I was encouraged by the positive comments he had to say about my teaching and involvement in our school. It was a really great way to end the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment