Friday, September 7, 2012

Houses Begin

Wow! I forgot how hard it is to be at school all day with kids... I'm so tired right now! Hopefully next week I'll get back into the grove and not feel quite so tired.

Today was a great day! My kids were good in the morning. We were able to learn the other 4 WBT rules. They were so excited I couldn't stop teaching them! We also started Daily 5. Today the kiddos read for 3 minutes brilliantly! In grade 1 they had Daily 5 time as well but sometimes during the summer they can forget so we are starting slowly just as "the sisters" suggest.

A couple of colleagues and I wanted to try something new at school this year to build community in our grades K-8 school as we were seeing a real disconnect between the junior high and early years students. We decided to create house groups. Each house has at least one staff member and students from each grade in our school. This year we have given each house an animal as their team name and a colour to go with it.

Today was the first day we introduced this idea to our students and got together in our house groups. I thought that my group went well.The activities we have planned are fun activities so I'm hoping that things go smoothly. After talking with other staff members they also said that their groups went over really well which was great. The comments were that the older kids were helping the younger ones which is exactly what the purpose of the house groups were.

I'm really hoping that this goes well. I can see a whole bunch of potential in these activities in building community in our school and I'm really looking forward to the year.

I was also excited when another teacher told me that she used Class- Yes with her house group today and it went over really well! Sharing things that work is so great!

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment