Thursday, September 6, 2012

Survival!!

Yay! Day 1 is over and I'm still alive!

Actually I had a good day. I think my kids are going to be a really fun group. Of course I'm only in the classroom during the morning so we were only able to learn Rule 1, class- yes and teach- ok from Whole Brain Teaching. I think once the kids get used to something a bit different things will go smoothly. In fact I really liked incorporating the Daily 5 with WBT. When just starting off we talked about 3 ways to read a book and introducing teach- ok worked really well to reinforce that concept.

I had students colour Flat Stanley so we can use him in Social Studies and the classroom was amazingly quiet. I have a feeling that this class will be different than last year for sure! Although I did have to get after a couple of kids during our school assembly for talking... something might have to change for that!

Getting started with Reading Recovery also went well. We looked at the observation survey which I have had some experience with so it wasn't all bad. Tomorrow I will put it to the test though and attempt to test two grade 1 students. I will also have to make some time this weekend to do my reading homework.

All in all, a great day... and now off to boot camp. I'm going to be so tired when I get to bed!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it! I'm supposed to be studying but instead you have me researching WBT - I just had to know what teach-ok was. You make for an excellent distraction Ms. Newton!

    ReplyDelete